MSc Aviation Security
The MSc is designed to deliver an accessible postgraduate programme that reflects sector currency and assists in the drive towards further professionalism and research capabilities.
It aims to provide students with an academically rigorous and work-related programme which will allow them to plan, devise and manage security issues within the industry. Drawing on best practice and regulatory guidance from aviation business leaders, the programme will challenge and stimulate innovative thought and new approaches to aviation security management.
The main educational aims and objectives of the programme are to:
· Evaluate risks associated with potential aviation security events and determine strategies and routes for the development of coherent and integrated protective measures.
· Synthesise, apply and critically appraise a range of theories for security management, design and planning in multiple aviation-linked environments.
· Research, apply and analyse concepts and theories of aviation security, safety and emergency management planning outside their context of experience and knowledge. This will allow formulation of concepts surrounding measures required to protect and prevent security situation development across a range of business types.
· Critically evaluate and theorise on roles and responsibilities, including multi-agency collaboration, regulation and enforcement of protection requirements for aviation.
· Critically evaluate research methods identifying an appropriate methodology to address, deliver and analyse a practice-based research issue through a dissertation.
Primary Target Population
· Employees who are currently working in or have the potential to work in a key role where they have responsibilities for ensuring that security protection is incorporated into aviation operations, and who may wish to gain a high level academic award in this important and emerging area.
· Individuals who have experience and skills in security management as generalists or aviation specialists.
· Mature applicants who have been out of the education system for some time and who wish to focus on developing a career in this subject.
· Graduates from other relevant Higher Education programmes who wish to continue their professional and academic development.
Graduate entrants to the programme will normally have an Honours degree or equivalent. Recent graduates would generally have achieved an upper second-class honours degrees in any field. It is anticipated that this degree will also evoke interest from international students for whom such qualification is not available in their home country.
Applicants who are in employment may qualify for entry without holding a first degree. The University welcomes applicants with non-standard or no formal qualifications and applicants will be assessed through a recruitment process based on interview, portfolio, employment history or other evidence of achievement and ability to benefit from the course. This is a particularly important access route for those who may have significant experience and capability and are seeking validation and development of knowledge and ability that they may already possess due to their extensive sector employment history.
No available sessions? Looking for a new date or location?Express Your Interest
We will notify you as soon as a new session becomes available